A Taste of Louisiana from Traub Supply and Tony Chachere’s
Cajun Pot Roasted Duck/Goose with Deer Sausage
4-6 ducks/2-3 geese
Tony Chachare’s Creole Seasoning
2 lbs. of cajun deer sausage (no sage)
1 bell pepper-chopped and seeds removed
5 Garlic cloves-smashed and chopped
3-4 cups or rice
· However many waxed ducks/geese it takes to fill the bottom of your pot.
· Rub generously with Tony Chachere’s- no measurements here, Maybe a teaspoon of Tony Chachere’s per side per duck and a tablespoon per side per goose.
· Using a black pot/magnalite, line the bottom of the pot with about 1/8”-1/4” of cooking oil and turn to medium-medium high heat.
· Brown the ducks/geese for 30-60 minutes.
o Flip every so often so they don’t burn.
o Add deer sausage half way through browning process.
o Geese will take longer than ducks.
o As they begin to stick (which is good) to the bottom of the pot and you form a layer of browned duck/goose pieces , you can add a little water to de-glaze (scrape with your spoon also). Continue doing this off and on until the birds are dark brown and sausage has turned a deep red to dark brown.
· Remove ducks/geese and sausage from pot and set aside.
· Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic and cook down for 5-10 minutes.
· Add ducks/geese back to pot and add chicken/beef stock or water to cover the birds and cook until tender. Add water and adjust seasoning as needed.
o Ducks will probably take 1-1.5 hrs. and geese will take 2-3 hrs.
· Serve over cooked rice.
· *Note- Brining the duck the night before may remove some gaminess.
Photo credits: Acadiana Table